Creating an award winning retail destination for Europe.
Creating this award winning and destination shopping centre in Zaragoza, during the global financial crisis required careful management and strict planning.
One of Europe's largest retail developments, Puerto Venecia covers an area of 600,000m2. The site required considerable earth movement works, due to the uneven landscape, as well as exhaustive cost studies to establish the most economical levels at which to set the buildings.
Gleeds’ project and cost management services helped deliver the complex on time and on budget, due to our innovative design-to-cost approach.
Making savings and meeting deadlines
The economic crisis posed a number of challenges. Ownership changed hands several times and costs needed to be reduced without compromising quality.
Our team played a critical role in achieving the required savings and keeping to the project on programme. To provide Eurofund Investments with strict budgetary control, we:
- Kept 4 staff on site at all times, in order to resource the procurement processes fast-tracking
- Conducted value engineering exercises resulting in savings of 10%
- Retendered the works to take advantage of lower building costs
- Performed continuous cost planning until near the end of the project
- Maintained regular dialogue with the designers to stick to budget
- Applied a flexible approach to procurement, to meet the demands of incoming tenants
In addition to a 2-level fashion mall, family entertainment zone, cinema, sports and adventure area, the final phase also included:
- Green space and walking areas
- A 7,500 m2 boating lake
- An manmade canal that converts into an ice rink in winter
- A bridge over the motorway to offer access from the ring road
The success of Puerto Venecia has led to a number of similar Spanish retail projects under consideration. The complex picked up a number of accolades including:
- Best retail and leisure development (MAPIC awards 2013)
- Best big shopping centre in Spain (AECC awards 2014)