Making a desirable dockside development a success.
Controlling costs during construction next to a waterway, operational railways and the River Thames is no mean feat.
But that’s exactly what Gleeds did when St James Group asked us to help keep expenditure down as these luxury penthouses and apartments went up. How did we do it?
Waterside, trackside and riverside
We began by investigating risk, design alternatives and value engineering. Then we found the right contractors, who could work with the cost constraints to help overcome the following challenges:
- Location next to the river Thames, operational railway lines and an existing dock
- Extensive consultation with a variety of stakeholders and the adjoining owners
- Existing Thames Water infrastructure under and adjacent to the site
- Phasing of the works to suit procurement strategy and market conditions
- Changing procurement strategy throughout the project
- Managing change due to procurement and differing design teams
Made in Chelsea
Our team used its expertise to provide cost management services for this high quality development of dockside flats that included:
- 7 new build residential apartment blocks
- 1,100 units
- Double underground basements across the development
- Extensive remodelling of existing dock walls and other structures
Despite these challenges, we managed to bring the project in on budget, thanks to our success in controlling costs during construction.